[Dixielandjazz] SPEAKING OF WILD BILL DAVISON

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 7 15:50:15 PST 2010

Bob Smith wrote:
> The vocalist on both tracks is Bertha "Chippie" Hill. "Baby, Won't You ..." was recorded on 1947-07-26, and "Lonesome Road" probably in January, 1948. The recordings were done in connection with the radio programme "This is Jazz" by Rudi Blesh.

Dear Bob,
Oh THOSE versions of "Baby Won't You Please Come Home" and "Lonesome Road".
[My head is hanging in shame.]
How did I not remember them? I have it all here on CD but, obviously, no longer in my ageing brain.
All I can add is that your January 1948 date is too late for the Rudi Blesh 'This Is Jazz' broadcasts, which finished on 4 October 1947.
Chippie Hill sang it, backed by the programme's All Star Stompers (with Wild Bill), on 19 July 1947.
Other versions of "Lonesome Road" with Wild Bill and a singer are the Connie Parsons' version, previously mentioned, and a session with Natalie Lamb in April 1974 on a Fat Cat LP where she or Johnson'Fat Cat' McRee may have sung it.
Thanks for the help dear mate.
So far as Wild Bill's association with Nellie Lutcher is concerned, all I know is that he recorded one of her 1947 Capitol Records hits, "The Song Is Ended" with Tommy Saunders' Surf Side Six for Jazzology in August 1971.
She is not mentioned in Hal Willard's 1996 Wild Bill biography, 'The Wild One'.
I now suspect that Harry's CD is all from 1947 'This Is Jazz' broadcast material.
All we need is an mp3 of the subject tracks and a scan of the cover and track listing.
Very kind regards,
Bill.