[Dixielandjazz] Bertha "Chippie" Hill (was: SPEAKING OF WILD BILL DAVISON)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 14:46:33 PST 2010

Bob:

Thanx for that additional info.  While I had not heard of "Chippie" before
your mention of her earlier, it is not surprising that you say that she had
at one time worked with Ma Rainey.

When I first listened to the Wild Bill Davison CD yesterday and heard those
two vocals on it,
the first person that came to mind was Ma Rainey but I knew that she had
been long deceased
before 1947.  It is obvious that she had some influence on "Chippie' as a
result of their association.

It seems to me that only last week I was reading about someone who got their
start playing piano
at about 12 years old when called upon to accompany Ma Rainey due to her
regular accompanist
taking ill.  It might have been Mary Lou Williams but lately I've been
having trouble remembering what I had for breakfast this morning.

Mattafact I believe I skipped breakfast and just had an early lunch

I've got one 10" LP of Ma Rainey's stuff and while I don't consider myself
an authority, I might have even liked her better than Bessie Smith, but it
would certainly be a toss up

Tides
HC.

--