[Dixielandjazz] Sinatra

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 07:05:33 PST 2010

> Barb Jordan <jordan_barb at hotmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> Who were Sammy Davis' influences or did they all emulate one another?
>

> Who originated this Darin/Sinatra/Davis style?

I think Sinatra originated the Darin/Sinatra/Davis style. His
biographers opine that Crosby was Sinatra's first idol. And that
Sinatra's generation was the first to grew up in the electric
microphone era, which facilitated singing in a softer style. What they
say, in effect, is that Sinatra perfected and expanded Crosby's style,
introducing a bel canto sound to it and taking it to a more nuanced
conclusion.

They go on to opine that other major influencers of Sinatra were
Billie Holiday and Mabel Mercer. Citing Holiday as his teacher for
"authentic emotion" in a song, and Mercer for the importance of
"story" in a song.  Ella Fitzgerald would say about him: "With Frank,
it's always this little guy telling his story." Examples of that would
be "One for my baby and one more for the road.", or "I did it my
way."  Or come to think of it, most any song he sings.

Others cite Tommy Dorsey as Sinatra's influencer regarding breath
control and phrasing.

Regarding Darin and Davis, I think Sinatra was a major influence on
both even though Davis was unique talent from a very early age.
However, anyone who ever say him sing "Bojangles" can readily see the
influence of Sinatra/Holiday emotion and Sinatra/Mercer story telling.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband