[Dixielandjazz] Women's History Month

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 5 01:05:16 PST 2010

Bruce Stangeland wrote [in part] in reply to Katie's mention of Blanche Calloway - Louisiana Liza (lyrics), Catch On (music):

> I found a description on the Internet <http://jass.com/c&j.html> of "Louisiana Lize" that says Bob Cole, J. Rosamund Johnson & James Weldon Johnson created it.
> The Charles Anderson collection mentions Bob Cole (1899) but doesn't include anyone else.

Dear Bruce,
I suggest that we are discussing two very different songs here.
With different spellings.
"Louisiana LizE" and "Louisiana LisA".
The Blanche Calloway tune was recorded for Vocalion on 6 November 1935 with composer credit on the label to (Stein-Calloway).
Both 'composers' are also credited with "Line-A-Jive" from the same Blanche Calloway and Her Joy Boys session.
Very kind regards,
Bill.