[Dixielandjazz] Women's History Month

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 4 21:46:26 PST 2010

Katie,

Thanks for your impressive list.

I found a description on the Internet <http://jass.com/c&j.html> of
"Louisiana Lize" that says Bob Cole, J. Rosamund Johnson & James Weldon
Johnson created it.
The Charles Anderson collection mentions Bob Cole (1899) but doesn't
include anyone else.

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:56:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Katie Cavera <kcavera at sbcglobal.net>
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Women's History Month

Since March is "Women's History Month" here in the states, for the past few years I've been doing a program during this month dedicated to female songwriters.  I thought I might share a little bit of it with the list because maybe you guys can help me think of more things to add and some of you may be interested in doing something similar with your band.  I'm not going to list every single song - that would take up too much space, but I'll put their names and a few of the 'hits' and that ought to be enough to get the ball rolling!

... cut

Blanche Calloway - Louisiana Liza (lyrics), Catch On (music)
Blanche was Cab's big sister and had a really hot band. Seriously off the charts hot. I really like her stuff a lot and if you don't know her, look her up!

The Boswell Sisters - Ok they weren't composers, but to my mind they were incredible arrangers and that's a skill in itself. I've written out several of their arrangements to perform and the way they approach a song is like nothing I've ever seen before. It's no wonder all the big boys were clamoring to work with them!

Ok list mates, who am I forgetting?  Who do you like? What are some of your favorite songs? Help me fill the list!
Thanks!
- Katie
http://www.katiecavera.com
http://www.youtube.com/kcavera