[Dixielandjazz] Joe Simon

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Mar 4 17:07:30 PST 2010

Marek,

He does turn up on some Google search hits - Big Joe Simon, Double
Bass. (504) 365-0808

this from a 1988 NY Times article:
> Ella Brennan, Commander's co-owner, recalls hiring jazz musicians in
> 1973 to enliven slow Sundays at the restaurant, some years after she
> and her family made breakfast at Brennan's into a celebrity event in
> the family's French Quarter restaurant. Along with the flaming
> desserts beloved by New Orleans diners, the jazz brunch, not
> surprisingly, caught fire and spread. The latter-day Creoles and
> their neighbors apparently recognized a good thing. The French Opera
> House is long gone, but jazz, which was not around in old Creole
> days, is an entertaining substitute. Commander's musicians stroll
> from table to table, filled with New Orleans families celebrating
> birthdays and anniversaries or just celebrating the weekend among
> hordes of visitors who have heard that the restaurant is the city's
> No. 1 favorite. On occasion when Big Joe Simon on the upright bass
> and the other musicians get really clicking and the wine corks are
> popping, a banker or another dignified type will be moved to jump up
> and swivel his hips to the beat, with other diners responding by
> shaking their napkins, which at Commander's are of generous size,
> white and well ironed
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/14/travel/new-orleans-up-close-jazz-and-eggs-over-easy.html

You might try asking the staffs at 2 New Orleans entertainment
magazine / newspapers - OffBeat ( offbeat.com ) and The Gambit  (  http://bestofneworleans.com/gyrobase
  )

  WWOZ might know more, .  wwoz.org

Dave Richoux