[Dixielandjazz] Re Louis Armstrong "Potato Head Blues"

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 15:50:44 PST 2010

Hi Sheik et al,

Sheik wrote: "When transcribing "Potato head blues" for my "Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 2"
I used a "slow down box" to hear the tune at 1/2 and 1/3 tempo. I discovered that the tune is very melodic."

I'm amazed you had to slow it down to find out it was very melodic!  Incidentally, has anyone else noticed a strong similarity between the chords of Potato Head's 32-bar theme and the trio part of Jelly Roll Morton's Froggie More (also a very melodic theme!)? Not identical but broadly similar.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk