[Dixielandjazz] Women's History Month

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Thu Mar 4 13:40:38 PST 2010

Katie Cavera wrote:

> May Aufderheide (music) - Dusty Rag, The Thriller Rag
> I'm sure there were other female composers during the ragtime
> era, but the two songs above were picked up by New Orleans
> bands and played by guys like Bunk Johnson during the revival
> in the 40's.

There were a LOT of women who wrote ragtime. Many of them came to
it via employment as song demonstrators in music stores. If
someone was thinking of buying a piece of sheet music, the song
demonstrator would play through it, so the customer could decide
whether they wanted to buy it or not. Other women of ragtime
included:

Julia Lee Niebergall -- a friend of May Aufderheide's... Both were
from Indianapolis. She worked as a motion picture pianist and as
pianist in a dance studio.

Irene Giblin from St. Louis -- wrote "Chicken Chowder" and "The
Aviator Rag," among other rags....

Adaline Shepherd from Milwaukee -- wrote "Pickles & Peppers," a
big hit in its day. Written in 1906 & used by William Jennings
Bryan in his 1908 Presidential campaign. "Hoosier Rag" is probably
her best known composition.

For names and biographies of more than 30 women who composed rags,
see:

http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime4a.shtml

Jim (I've written a few rags myself) O'Briant
Gilroy, CA