[Dixielandjazz] Lp Records

Roy (Bud) Taylor budtuba at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 09:35:06 PDT 2010

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Left channel is
recorded on one side of the groove and the Right channel on the other side.
This depends on the pickup heads (both recording and playback) having enough
mass to overcome the inertia of the needle mechanisms and being suspended by
the tone arm over the record so that the two channels are played with good
separation.

I have saved an article from the magazine Audio for June 1981 that was
entitled, "The Roots of High Fidelity Sound" by Bert Whyte.  This included a
picture of the Bell Labs group shown circa 1930.  The members of the group
were:  PB Flanders, JP Maxfield, DG Blatiner, AC Keller, and HC Hamson.
>From that article:

"At the same time (1933) in a laboratory in Murray Hill, New Jersey, other
people are playing phonograph records.  Their 12-inch discs revolve at 33
1/3 rpm.  The records are made of a plastic and have quiet playback
surfaces, which are tracked by a magnetic moving-coil phono cartridge at a
force of 2 grams.  A vacuum-tube amplifier magnifies the tiny electrical
signal coming from the pickup manyfold and feeds it into a loudspeaker with
a multi-cellular horn tweeter and 15-inch woofer.  The full-bodied sound
extends from 40 to 12,000 cycles, and the music of the Philadelphia
Orchestra conducted by Leopold Stokowski, sounds just great.  In another
part of the laboratory, another record is being played and its output is fed
to two amplifiers and two of the big loudspeakers, because the playback is
in stereophonic sound.

...The  hi-fi or audio industry as we know it today is generally considered
to have come into being about 1948.  At that time, much of so-called hi-fi
equipment was derived from broadcast and motion picture technology and was
sold mainly in radio and electronics parts stores..."

Anyone wishing a copy of this article will prompt me to scan it and create a
PDF for your reading pleasure.  Responde vu.

--
Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band