[Dixielandjazz] "Rock" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 25 14:39:41 PDT 2010

Harry Callaghan wrote regarding "My Daddy Rocks Me":
> I was just about to mention that I have the Jimmy Noone recording but it's on an audio cassette and guess what?    No liner notes.  Do you know who the vocalist was?

Dear Harry,
Glad to oblige.
May Alix.
Who?
From Wikipedia:

Liza Mae "May" Alix (August 31, 1902 in Chicago, Illinois - November 1983) was an American cabaret and jazz vocalist. She began her career as a singer with the Jimmie Noone band in the clubs of Chicago. Soon she teamed up with Ollie Powers performing as a duo in cabarets. In 1926, she recorded with Louis Armstrong's Hot Five. One of the recordings, "Big Butter and Egg Man" became Armstrong's first chart hit. She collaborated with Jimmie Noone on half a dozen recordings for Vocalion Records (1929-1930). During the 1930s and early 1940s, she performed mainly in New York City.

Kind regards,
Bill.