[Dixielandjazz] rock as a verb

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:39:51 PDT 2010

Bob:

Why do you take me seriously?  I'm sure nobody else does.  I think two
of the Boswells were Eve and Connie but can't remember the third.

Wait a few minutes and somebody will surely come up with it.

Back in the late 80s, a rich apartment owner in Houston named Harold Farb
opened a niteclub called the Carlyle.  Whether he hamed it after Bobby
Short's old stomping grounds, I do not know.

Harold fancied himself quite the singer and was noted for getting up and
doing a few numbers as local social events.  He also idolized Al Jolson.

The joke around town was that he only opened the place so he'd have a place
to sing and nobody could tell him not to.

In any case, during the short time the place was in operation, he booked,
(not necessarily in that order)
Patty Andrews, Frank Sinatra Jr. and Kay Starr.

When it was shuttered I thought "How sad, and Harold didn't even get the
chance to book Julius LaRosa"

Tides
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)