[Dixielandjazz] Muhlenberg Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 20:42:38 PDT 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:26 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
>

> W1AB at aol.com asked:
>>   Has anyone ever played a gig in  Muhlenberg, Pennsylvania?
>
> Dear Al,
> Our mate Steve Barbone has.
> If I interpreted his 23rd June email correctly.
> Although, he only mentioned Laurendale and Reading.
> A quick Google seems to indicate Muhlenberg has the same zip code.
> Kind regards,

Dear Bill & Al.

I've done gigs at 2 Muhlenbergs in Pennsylvania. Township and College.

Reading is a city. Laureldale is a town. Muhlenberg is a township. Our
gig, Thursday night, is at Muhlenberg High School, located in
Laureldale, one of the small towns located within the limits of
Muhlenberg Township. The post office that controls the mail for
Laureldale and Muhlenberg township, is Reading, which controls zip
codes from 19601 to 19612, + 19640.

Yes, we have played several gigs over the past few years in Muhlenberg
Township,  They are produced by the township Parks & Recreation
Department. We've played in Temple PA and Laureldale PA which are
small towns within that township. At the High School and the Middle
School which are a part of the Muhlenberg School District.

Postal Districts usually include several towns, and townships. For
example, my snail mail comes to Oxford PA, 19363, even though I do not
live in the Borough (town) of Oxford. I live in Lower Oxford Township,
a rural township near Oxford, not enough residents to have its own
post office, Several other rural townships nearby are also a part of
the Oxford Postal District. Before the advent of zip codes, delivery
to these townships was identified by RD 1, RD 2, etc. which stood for
Rural Delivery Routes.

Many townships in Southeast PA and New Jersey have Parks & Recreation
Departments which provide free, or low cost summer concerts for their
residents. Part of my marketing program is to contact those within 60
miles of my house if they have more than 15,000 residents. Have gotten
hundreds of gigs this way over the past 15 years. Muhlenberg has about
16,000 residents. The West Goshen Gig this Sunday is another township
gig. It is in the West Chester PA postal district.

About 52 years ago I did a gig at Muhlenberg College which is located
in Allentown PA, about 35 miles from Muhlenberg Township, and named
after Henry Melchoir Muhlenberg who was the father of the Lutheran
Church in the American Colonies, having come to Philadelphia from
Germany as a missionary in the 1740s.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband