[Dixielandjazz] Muhlenberg PA (was Milenburg)

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jun 23 19:26:43 PDT 2010

There is a semi-not-quite-OKOM song about Muhlenberg County, Kentucky
- John Prine wrote  "Paradise" in 1971 about the Peabody Coal Company
(now Peabody Energy) that removed  the entire town of Paradise while
strip mining.

a bit of it:
> And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
> Down by the Green River where Paradise lay?
> Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking...
> Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away.

according to Wiki: Peabody had nothing to do with the demise of
Paradise, Kentucky. That actually belongs to P&M Coal Company and the
TVA Paradise Fossil Plant. TVA bought out the remaining residents of
the town due to health concerns and Pittsburgh & Midway Coal Company
strip mined the land that the town sat on after everyone moved out.

And last week while traveling to Seattle I saw a young woman with a
Muhlenberg High School shirt - I asked her if she was from Kentucky or
PA - she said PA, maybe she got home in time for the concert!

Dave Richoux