[Dixielandjazz] Recording the music

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 07:26:00 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/22/2010 10:10:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com writes:

Did  anyone ever own one of those old TASCAM 4-Track machines? You could
use a  normal blank cassette (perhaps they had to be a specific type, chrome
or  something) but it only used one side and recorded onto them at a much
faster  speed. So a 60 min cassette gave you 15 minutes worth of  recording.

    EVER?  I own one now.  It  can record four tracks independently, one at
a time.  Then you can fold  those tracks over to the fourth track, and add
three more tracks, etc.

    They used any normal cassette.   You could record at either 3.75 or 7.5
ips (30 or 15 minutes play  time for a 60-minute cassette).  The machine
works pretty well, for  middle-aged technology.

    A couple of years ago I used it to  test some arrangements I wrote of
German Christmas carols for a low-brass  quartet.  We went to Germany and
adjoining countries for a tour of  Christmas markets.  We even played in
Fucking, Austria, which I'm sure most  of you have heard of.  I have a nice photo
of the Fucking event, but I  don't think the list server will forward
attached photos.

    Lately, I bought a small digital  equivalent of the old cassette-based
machine, but I haven't tried to use it  yet.  It records on SD camera cards.

                                                                Al B