[Dixielandjazz] Completely OT (was: Father's Day & other more or less interestingditties)

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:04:31 PDT 2010

On 20 June 2010 16:08, Bob Smith <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote:
> Dear Bill and Jim,
>
> Bill, you never cease to amaze me with the speed at which you dig out remote
> information!
>
> Did you know that Norway has "name-days". Two or three forenames are listed
> for every day of the year, and it is a dying practice to congratulate the
> named person on his or her day.

Strange, as they are Protestants.  This is common practice among
Polish (and probably other) Catholics, who celebrate a "name day" on
the day of their respective namesake saint.  Whe I was a kid in
Poland, only Jews celebrated birthdays; the Poles celebrated their
name days.  It has changed because of the American influence.

Cheers