[Dixielandjazz] Recording the music

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 05:13:05 PDT 2010

Hi All,

Jack Mitchell wrote about using a small solid-state recorder. I've got one (an Edirol R-09HR) with a 4 GB SD card and on-board microphones. I use it to record gigs, especially when we're trying out new charts. Results so far are very impressive, but obviously vary according to room accoustics and distance from the bandstand. It records in both wav and mp3 format. Obviously wav needs more file space, so I use it for a 2-set concert, but if I'm recording longer gigs, or playing at a weekend festival where there might be several hours of material before I can get back to base to download it all to my computer, I use mp3 format. I haven't found any major reduction in quality when in mp3 mode.

As Jack says, there are no moving parts, it's pocket-sized, easy to use and produces good quality reordings if set up right. Downloading to computer is quick and simple, so you can burn it straight to CD if you don't want to do any interim editing. I've gone through the whole cycle from reel-to-reel, cassette (including Pro Walkman) to mini-disk and the solid-state machin is what I've been waiting for for decades as it's light, portable and gives results as good as any I've experienced in the past. I guess it could be further improved by using good quality mics fed through a mixer unit to reduce to 2-channel stereo and DI'd to the Edirol. Well worth checking out.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk