[Dixielandjazz] FW: Hearing the music

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sat Jun 19 07:10:14 PDT 2010

Dear Jim,

Sorry, there was a slip of the pen, so to speak. I should have said 1TB hard
disks, not 1GB.

I agree, of course, with your remarks about relative qualities of
reproduction, but as the majority of my records were recorded in the 1920's
and '30's I don't really hear a significant difference in quality. To get a
reasonably high quality (.wav), this would reduce the capacity of a 1TB hard
disk to about 28 000 recordings.

Memory sticks are very useful for transferring data, but an expensive way of
storing data. Here in Norway a 16GB stick costs about 1/10 of the price of
two 1TB hard disks. Thus 1GB of stick is about 125x the price of 1GB on a
1TB hard disk.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith