[Dixielandjazz] Where Did It Go?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:05:52 PDT 2010

>> Steve asked:
>>>
>>> Where did OKOM go?
>>
>> Steve then answered his own question, without thinking that this is an
>> international list:
>>>
>>> To Festivals where "Art Form" audiences glared at folks who were too
>>> loud,
>>

>> And, I expand on his question by answering:  Where?  To Europe where it is
>> alive & well!  There's little dancing in the clubs we play at since there
>> is
>> no room to move!  I managed to get off the bandstand last nite and have a
>> bit of a swing with a lady that was moving nicely in front of us, but that
>> is usually the extent of the dancing.  Very few elitists, as most people
>> are
>> in the joints for a drink & discover that they are enjoying themselves.
>>
>> Our music is to have fun to, not to interpret, disect, and chew.  Just
>> taste
>> & swallow whole!
>
> Mea Culpa. I did indeed write about the USA in answer to a post about
> Dixieland in the USA. Here is the little I know about the European scene.
>
> I do believe Dixieland is also alive and well, relatively speaking that is,
> in the USA as compared with Europe. I also believe Dixieland in Europe is
> nothing like it was in 1955 and 1956 when I spent a year traveling around
> from Greece to Sweden.

For one - I must agree with Jim, since I used the same expression in
The Mississippi Rag some yars ago (do I miss that mag!).
More seriously, Steve is right, of course, that Dixieland is by far
not as popular in Europe aas in the nid-'50's, or in the '60's, before
the advent of the Beatles.  It is nevertheless more widespread there
(and probably in Australia and Japan as well) than in the US, even if
only because it is often played in places attended by young people
rather than costly jazz festivals that, because of the costs involved,
exclude all but the ardent fans (although I've often wondered why
people were prepared to spend all that money in order NOT to listen to
jazz, and not let others to listen).

Adding dance floors at jazz places seems like a good thing - most
young people who went to hear the West Coast revivalists, as well as
the later university bands all over the US, went there to dance; some
have remained fans and are on this list.
Cheers