[Dixielandjazz] Where Did It Go?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 17 17:23:59 PDT 2010

> "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote
>

> Steve asked:
>> Where did OKOM go?
>
> Steve then answered his own question, without thinking that this is an
> international list:
>> To Festivals where "Art Form" audiences glared at folks who were
>> too loud,
> discouraged dancing because it was distracting, and in reality,
> became the
> elitists.
>
> And, I expand on his question by answering:  Where?  To Europe where
> it is
> alive & well!  There's little dancing in the clubs we play at since
> there is
> no room to move!  I managed to get off the bandstand last nite and
> have a
> bit of a swing with a lady that was moving nicely in front of us,
> but that
> is usually the extent of the dancing.  Very few elitists, as most
> people are
> in the joints for a drink & discover that they are enjoying
> themselves.
>
> Our music is to have fun to, not to interpret, disect, and chew.
> Just taste
> & swallow whole!

Mea Culpa. I did indeed write about the USA in answer to a post about
Dixieland in the USA. Here is the little I know about the European
scene.

I do believe Dixieland is also alive and well, relatively speaking
that is, in the USA as compared with Europe. I also believe Dixieland
in Europe is nothing like it was in 1955 and 1956 when I spent a year
traveling around from Greece to Sweden.

One only has to look at the band listings (rather dated) at the below
site to get a feel for how many Dixieland Bands there are around the
world.:

http://www.libertyhall.com/jazzbands/jazz.html

This list is very incomplete and doesn't mention the MANY new
Dixieland Bands that have sprung up in the USA in the past 10 years. 5
in th Philadelphia area alone.

Be that as it may, in the 1950s Bechet was like a God in France with
residencies at Vieux Colombier in Paris and on the Riviera. Roy
Eldridge was at Club St. Germain, Armstrong was touring and filling
huge venues all over Europe. (as was Bechet). British Trad was booming
etc. And bands like that of Claude Luter, Dutch Swing College, Andre
Reweliotty, Moustache Galepides et al were playing OKOM all over
Europe. France, Germany, England, Italy, Sweden, Denmark all had
numerous Dixieland Bands working regularly, 5 and 6 nights a week.

The scene at Vieux Colombier in Juan-Les-Pines was like that at
Condon's as far as notable listeners goes. Folks like Jean-Paul Satre,
Ali Khan, Simone DeBeauvoir, Maurice Chevalier, Orson Welles, Errol
Flynn and a host of Hollywood movie stars all came by to pay their
respects to Bechet during their holiday time on the Riviera. VC was
the place to go, and he was THE man to hear back then. Todays gigs,
worldwide, pale by comparison.

Back in 2001 after the Ken Burns Jazz Program I posted on the DJML
that this was the time to go after the new young audience. I outlined
how to try a marketing approach to the renewed interest in Jazz. I
took my own advice while others viewed it with distain saying; What?
You expect me to market my band?

The result was that over the past decade Barbone Street did over 1700
well paying gigs to general audiences numbering from the hundreds to
22,000 at Du Pont Corporation's 200th Anniversary bash on the grounds
of Winterthur, the huge former DuPont Estate, now a museum. They
invited all of their employees and families. (The ice bill was $800,000)

We are still playing to young people in many local venues, like at the
Centennial of the Paoli PA library this Saturday. An Ice Cream
Festival,  family event with several hundred teens and pre teens
expected to attend. So Dixieland didn't go anywhere as far as we are
concerned. But, relatively speaking to the rest of the world, and most
of the other bands that play Dixieland, and the audience, it sure as
hell ain't like it used to be.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband