[Dixielandjazz] Where did it go?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:48:27 PDT 2010

Well, I have already mentioned the popularity of the New Orleans
Function with dancers here in israel.
I freely admit, though, that I had been a member of the "elitists" who
sneered at dancing.  To me, it detracted from the music.  When I first
visited the UK (1964), it seemed that the better places had their
dance floors in the back, behind the seats for listeners, while others
had tham in front of the band, with chairs for listeners in the back.
Over the years I have realized that jazz was losing something - the
spotaneous swing, the soul.  And then I changed my mind, although I
still prefer listening to dancing.
Cheers