[Dixielandjazz] Where did it go?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 17 14:37:42 PDT 2010

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
> The fact that "jazz clubs" still exist in the UK to this day, is still something that wows me.

Dear Mike,
And also in Australia.
We played a Sydney Jazz Club gig last week.
And they danced.
As with Kash in Madrid, they dance at our Sunday afternoon pub job - if there is room.
When the Graeme Bell Dixieland Band went to Europe and Britain in 1947 and were living in London, they introduced the Australian 'jazz-is-for-dancing' policy when they started the Leicester Square Jazz Club, in August 1948.
It has survived there, as it has down-under.
Very kind regards,
Bill.