[Dixielandjazz] Louis, Duke and BeBop

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 17 11:43:58 PDT 2010

As the majority of participants on this list are musicians, we tend to
address the problem of listenership/fans as a problem with the solos or the
music played.

I would suggest that rather the problem is with the listeners, particularly
young listeners.

They do not have the ears, the training, the background or the musical
understanding to find any comprehension or communication in the music.  They
have not had music in school.  They have not played instruments. They have
not grown up with understanding or interest in what is being done. Above and
beyond that, if it lasts more than a very few minutes (seconds?) they are
not longer interested in paying any attention and would prefer to move ono
to something (anything) else.

They do not understand (nor do they wish to understand) music as melodic
development nor have any comprehension of the skills that go into an
improvised solo.  The same is true (and even more of a problem) with music
based on counterpoint and improvised intragroup relationships.  It is all
another language and that language is not one which they are willing to even
hear, let alone comprehend.

Interesting to me (as a retired educator) is the fact that I'm not sure they
are missing anything they need to know other that it is one hell of a
brilliant aestheic area when done even correctly, let alone well.  I can't
read Don Quixote in the original Spanish (which my Spanish PhD wife tells me
is a completely different experience) let alone the Picaresque and/or novels
of the Spanish mystics that have never been translated.

I also listen to my OKOM on LPs (many of which are 10") and not much on CDs
or MP3s let alone as sound clips.  I must admit that even I don't go back to
the original 78's.  Everything changes.