[Dixielandjazz] melodic improvisation

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Thu Jun 17 06:21:44 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/17/2010 12:18:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

Other  examples are the many songs written over the exact same chord
changes. Like those with Bill Bailey chord changes.

    When I solo on "Bill Bailey," I often  play the following, which
usually gets smiles and laughter from a few musically  knowledgeable members of
the audience:

    For the first 16 bars I play the  straight melody of "Hello, Young
Lovers" -- a perfect fit, and a fitting tune to  play for Bill Bailey.  Then I
finish the chorus by quoting the second half  of "Pennsylvania Polka," or
phrases from "Struttin' with Some Barbeque," or  other familiar tunes.

    Try it -- you'll like  it.

    Many years ago, the Potomac River Jazz  Club (in Washington, DC) had a
Sunday night program on a DC public access FM  station.  Several members
took turns hosting the program.  One night  Dick Baker filled the entire hour
and a half program with tunes having the same  chord structure as "Bill
Bailey," an excellent tour de farce.

                                                                Al B