[Dixielandjazz] FW: Louis Armstrong Quotes was solos

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jun 16 11:31:33 PDT 2010

Steve wrote:
>Sounds suspiciously like what the be-boppers did as they moved towards 16th
notes and rhythmic surprises. They simply continued along his (Louis
Armstrong's) pathway  of innovation, while we Dixielanders stood still.

What?  Who's standing still?  I'm not taking this sentence out of context at
all, by the way, as your complete recent email I've taken the sentence from
is in plain sight for everyone to see on djml.

I play Dixieland, and I love to play around with the timing (not with the
time!). I gather you were trying to say that Dixie players don't do that.
That's a very flat statement and demands a call from those that consider
they are not "standing still".

Apart from liking to play with the timing, I like to play with the mike
(naughty me!)by using it as extension of the horn for special effects (no
standing still by being unknowledgeable about technology!).

Sometimes I fall all over myself when I've stepped out on a limb during a
solo.  It proves that I tried to do something new (translates to not
"standing still").  And, finally, being a VERY active trombonist, I never
physically "stand still"!

Nope.  I can't believe all Dixielanders missed Louie's lessons.

Jim