[Dixielandjazz] HERE WE GO AGAIN

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 17:43:52 PDT 2010

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..........

Now that we've just about drained Mr. Kelly's cup dry (Pete that is) another
movie I would like to draw your attention to that I think should be
appreciated by musicians and music lovers alike is "Lush Life" which was
made for Showtime.in 1993

I've seen it numerous times and have come to refer to it as "Brian's Song
with Music" as it deals with the friendship of two freelance musicians in NY
and one of them develops an inoperable brain tumor.

To save "legwork" on the part of those here on the mainland as well as "our
man down under", Forest Tucker's trumpet work is dubbed by Chuck Findley,
Jeff Goldblum's sax playing is by Bob Cooper and Kathy Baker's vocalizing is
that of Sue Raney

Great music but regrettably not enough of it..

There is no soundtrack album but appearing as musicians in the picture are
trumpeter Jack Sheldon, saxophonist Everett Harp.and a few others you might
possibly recognize

I found Goldblum's opening monologue especially moving and it made me truly
wish that I had become a musician.  Whitaker gets the last line in the
picture and it is a beauty.

While I know it is available on VHS, to the best of my knowledge it has not
been released on DVD.

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)