[Dixielandjazz] Identifying a "good" solo

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 14:32:14 PDT 2010

Disputandum or not, there is no "correct way" to solo!  Just listen to
Bix, or the British Sandy Brown.  Both self-taught, both had
"incorrect" ways of fingering.  Both created great music and
interesting solos.  I don't know about Pee Wee Russell's fingering,
but his playing has always been described as 'incorrect."  Still, one
of the greatest and most easily recognizable soloist.
Cheers (I'm going to get that bass ale out of my freezer (not to
worry, it's been there for some 20 minutes - enough to cool it, but
not to make it too cold; it's not a lager, after all).