[Dixielandjazz] :Pete Kelly's Blues

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 07:20:40 PDT 2010

Hopefully, the final word on "Pete Kelly's Blues" as I suspect most
subscribers are probably tiring of it.

You will see the reference I make to the Peggy Lee/Ella Fitzgerald
recordings in my reply to Bob Ringwald (where he pointed out that I
misspelled Matty Matlock's name)

As I had said earlier, the RCA recording with Webb's narration was not a
soundtrack recording but used the same personnel as in the movie.

It is doubtful that Peggy & Ella's recordings were either.  I would also
venture a guess that there are selections on it that were not even included
in the movie that were added in order to fill up the time on an LP.

While Amazon rarely does so, Halfcom. by Ebay (which I use because there is
no bidding, no PayPal & regulated shipping charges) often provides track
listings on albums listed for sale.
As I was not interested in purchasing the Peggy/Ella album I did not bother
scrolling down to see what selections were included on it.

I did track down a Warner Brothers LP that was obviously associated with the
1959 TV series of the same name,  It was produced by Jack Webb as was a 1951
radio series (4 years before the theatrical movie)  When I say "tracked
down" I mean confirmation of its existence.  I did not find one for sale
anywhere.

The TV series ran (13) episodes starring William Reynolds but I have no idea
whether Webb used the same personnel from the moive on the program.

I found the RCA album in CD form on Amazon with (12) selections included.  I
would guess that when it was orginally released in LP form, there were 3
corresponding EPS, of which I previously stated I only have the one.

Since I turned up some Sidney Bechet material I wasn't aware I had (as
covered in another post) who knows?  I could quite possibly come up with the
WB LP before the day is over

As to Randy saying that Webb sounded "Dragnetish" (when did he not?) I
understand that his inspiration for creating the program stemmed from a
Richard Basehat movie entitled "He Walked By Night" where Webb had a
supporting role as a police lab tech

I thought he was terrific in "The D.I" (a military drill instructor)..

Now I'm all did.

Tides
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)