[Dixielandjazz] Si Tu Vois Ma Mere / Sheik Of Araby

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 05:08:49 PDT 2010

Since my discovery of the overdubbed "Sheik of Araby" I have determined that
there is a version of the number by Sidney Bechet available for download in
MP3
format on Amazon.

However, there is no way that I can guarantee that is the from the same 1941
session  In other words, he could have recorded it more than once.  If you
want to gamble 89 or 99 cents, you can try to make your own determination.

The article I read told of how he ended up with RCA Victor at the time.  He
had been in on a recording session with the Chamber Music Society of Lower
Basin Street directed by Henry Levene and somehow the overdubbing concept
was developed.

I have the Chamber's recording of "Muskrat Ramble" that features Sidney and
it is excellent.

Tides,
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)