[Dixielandjazz] THE GIG

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 9 17:51:45 PDT 2010

> Some of the music in that movie was played by Bob Barnard, with Warren Vache miming to Bob's music.

Dear Jack,
I'm a bit late with this one.
This subject was covered on the DJML a few years back (before you joined us).
I posted Bob Barnard's story about it, but lost the emails in a crash a while back.
(It will be in the DJML Archive, but is not accessible by subject, only the email date.)
As I recall it, Bob was in New York and Kenny Davern invited him to one of the studio recording sessions to meet everyone.
That day, Warren Vaché called in sick and Bob was asked to fill in for him.
The soundtrack musicians for the 1985 film, The Gig, were:

Warren Vaché, Bob Barnard [as Bob Bernard in the credits] (cornet), Kenny Davern (clarinet) George Masso (trombone) Dick Wellstood and John Bunch (piano) Milt Hinton and Reggie Johnson (bass) Herb Harris (drums).

Years ago, I taped the music from the 92 minute film. It only totalled a disappointing 15 minutes.
Very kind regards,
Bill