[Dixielandjazz] Rushing

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 8 23:52:36 PDT 2010

I play tenor banjo and ballroom dance. For me, strict tempo is a must. I try
to sit to the left of the drum so that I can try to hold down the one I know
who rushes badly. I have indifferent success, but I try.

I was immensely impressed many years ago when I went to my first ballroom
dance competition (in San Antonio, Texas).
There was a live big band playing all the heats. This is extremely rare,
records are much less expensive and easier to control: each group of
contestants in a given dance must have the same music at exactly the same
tempo.

During an intermission I went up on the bandstand to look over their setup.
There was a stapled together set of notes on the snare drum.

The band leader had given the drummer a detailed list of the order of titles
and dances (tango, waltz, etc.) to be played, how many times to play each,
and the exact measure per minute to play each one. And they did it very
well. I have not seen it done again in 20 years.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.