[Dixielandjazz] Rushing

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 8 12:59:06 PDT 2010

Drummers can wreck a bands tempo and he is probably the most important time
keeper but certainly not the only one.  Monk was right that there is a tempo
that rhythm players want to play at and sometimes it's hard to get their
attention or to get them to change.  Hammering out block chords may be a way
but it sounds bad and maybe worse than the rushing.

Horn players do rush but only if the rhythm section lets them.  I still
maintain that horn players aren't the problem if the rhythm section is
solid.

Rhythm players have to be leaders not followers.

Speaking of  section playing and not soloists in the rhythm section.
Leaders lead by volume in that section.  The loudest guy wins..... the
driver is the biggest guy ...... if someone is rushing or dragging or doing
something else and the section is suffering I would bet that whoever it is
he is the loudest.  Get him to play softer and take away the power to drive
the section.  If you are lucky he will get p++++d off and quit.
Larry
StL