[Dixielandjazz] Your thoughts on rushing

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 7 22:41:53 PDT 2010

Unfortunately there are some musicians that have a one speed approach to
music and no matter what you do you end up at their speed.

I have known few players that held excellent speed.  The best I ever played
with was a drummer from the AF band, Ken French.  I think Ken is now
somewhere on the West coast should anyone run across him.

Horn players simply cannot control the band because their sound isn't
percussive.  A good bass player can really help but no matter who it is
someone has to be a leader of that section weather it's the drummer, bass
player or whoever.  That person has to take charge musically and control the
section.  If you don't have that then you will always have them chasing
their tails.

Whoever it is that person has to be a leader and be able to insist on the
others following him and not try to out play him or musically take over
which will lead to imbalance in the section.

I get tired of someone from the rhythm section blaming the horn players for
rushing.  Horn players have to stay within the confines of the patterns laid
down by the rhythm section.  Who is following who?  A rhythm section should
generally never follow a horn player.

The other thing is that the rhythm section has to listen to each other and
lock in.  If you have people that are just listening to themselves then you
have problems.

A solid rhythm section is actually a fairly rare thing.  I have been
privileged with playing with some of the best but also some of the worst
too.
Larry
StL