[Dixielandjazz] Need advice regarding transfer of LPs to CD

W1AB at aol.com W1AB at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 19:44:22 PDT 2010

In a message dated 6/4/2010 10:13:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nvickers1 at cox.net writes:

I know  that a number listmates have had experience with this.  We'd
appreciate a  "consumer reports" type evaluation to advise us in our purchasing
choices.

Hi, Norman,

    About eight years ago I bought a Sony  CD recorder that has served me
well in transferring my old vinyl records to  CD:

_http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sony+%22cd+recorder%22&hl=en&cid=1
3609121059445027061&ei=y7YJTPelG4O0wAWo8Jn1Aw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p_
(http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sony+"cd+recorder"&hl=en&cid=13609
121059445027061&ei=y7YJTPelG4O0wAWo8Jn1Aw&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p)

    I strongly recommend this one to  you.  The price is quite reasonable.

    Also, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a  "refurbished" machine.  That means
it was defective when originally  purchased and returned by the customer.
After that, it is gone over  carefully by factory-trained technicians before
begin again offered for sale, so  it has more attention given to it than
does a new unit off the production  line.

    In addition to recording CDs from the  line input, you can play a CD on
the left side and copy it on the right side of  the machine.

    You MUST use Music CDs with this (and  likely all other CD recorders).
They cost a bit more than normal CD-Rs,  with the extra money going to
ASCAP or whomever.  There is code written on  the otherwise blank disc to allow
the recorder to accept it; it will refuse to  write onto normal CD-Rs.

    If, after copying onto the  CD, there are too many clicks and pops on
the tracks, I put the CD into my  computer and run it through Adobe Audition
to clean up the noise.  Then I  can burn another cleaned-up CD from the
computer.

    If you have music that, somewhere  along the line, wasn't run at the
proper speed (so that the musical pitches  aren't right on A = 440), It's easy
to correct that using Adobe  Audition.

    Good luck with making a decision about  what to buy!

                                                                Al B