[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen - Part Two

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 13:13:35 PDT 2010

Here is the second half of the article as "Part Two"  I would opine
that Woody Allen has done so much for the genre of traditional jazz,
that we should have no problem thanking him by spending a paltry $100
to see him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

"I've been a great jazz fan my whole life," he says. "I like modern
jazz as well, but my favorite kind is New Orleans jazz. Something
about the primitive quality, the simplicity of it, the directness. It
is the one style of jazz that stays with me the most."

As a teen growing up in 1950's Brooklyn, Allan Stewart Konigsberg made
frequent pilgrimages into Manhattan to the Jazz Record Center and the
performance hall Child's Paramouint. At 17, he persuaded Fats Waller's
clarinetist, Gene Sedric, to give him private lessons for $2 an hour
(this including the toll for Sedric's arduous subway journey from th
Bronx to outer Flatbush, (according to Eric Lax's 2001 book, "Woody
Allen: A Biography). Allen's first ambition was to be a professional
musician, though, of course, he ultimately followed the paths of his
other childhood heroes, Ingmar Bergman and Federico Fellini, ton the
tune of approximately one movie annually for the past 40 years.

Through his decade of stylistic departures - from the one-liner
slapstick "Bananas" (1971) to the bittersweet fantasy "The Purple Rose
of Cairo (1985) to the heterodox tryst "Vicky Cristina
Barcelona" (2008) - jazz has been a constant loving presence. It;'s
part  of almost all his soundtracks: James P Johnson & Cecil Mack's
"Charleston" was adapted for "Zelig (1983), Bix Beiderbecke's "Singing
The Blues" was an undercurrent in "Bullets over Broadway" (1994) and
Jelly Roll Morton's "Wolverine Blues floated through
"Interiors" (1978), to name a few. Often, Allen makes vintage jazz
integral to the plot: 1987's "Radio Days" recounted golden AM-radio
vignettes of the 1930s and '40s, while Sean Penn's irascible guitarist
Emmet Ray in 1999's "Sweet and Lowdown" was second only to "that Gypsy
in France", the real life Django Reinhardt. Traditional jazz films,
meanwhile, have affected his other creative venues: Singer /actor Al
Jolson, star of 1927's "The Jazz Singer", is a character in the short
story "Fine Times: An Oral Memoir," from Allen's 1927 fiction
collection "Without Feathers.

"Woody is a very musical fellow - really a very knowledgeable
musician," says Dick Hyman, Allen's long time fi;lm score composer and
arranger. "He consciously, deliberately use jazz, and understands how
it works with the kinds of scenarios he writes."

It's all a process of familiarity, explains Allen. "Everyone loves the
music of his childhood, and for some reason, it has a disproportionate
impact on the person," he says. "When I was growing up and I got up in
the morning to go to school, I would turn on the radio and it would be
Billie Holiday and Coleman Hawkins and Benny Goodman. This is what you
heard in your house with popular music back then.