[Dixielandjazz] Hoboken Four (was Some Birthdays July 29)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 05:37:51 PDT 2010

Bill:

I don't know how much of it is truth, but during a monologue on "Sinatra at
the Sands", Frank tells of how Major Bowes took a shine to thei group (no
pun intended but let's just roll with it)

He said that the Major kept bringing them back on the program under other
names, among them  the Newark Nightingales, and The Teaneck Teen-Tones all
representative of other NJ cities.

The segment on the album, labelled "The Tea Break" exhibited Frank's flair
for comedy as he spun some tales related to his youth as well as
stories pertaining to other entertainment figures.

The classic line was when he made reference to Sammy Davis Jr's TV program,
which was considerably less than successful.

He went on to say, "Sammy wrote a book entitled, "Yes I Can'.  When I saw
that program, I sent him a wire that said, "NO, You can't"

Tides,
Harry.

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)