[Dixielandjazz] Mildred Bailey (was Some Birthdays July 29)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 29 18:13:00 PDT 2010

Harry Callaghan wrote [in part]:
> Although the number probably associated most with the late and great Mildred
> Bailey was Hoagy Carmichael's "Rockin' Chair"...... I don't know how many times she recorded it, but I have 4 different
> renditions.

Dear Harry,
Although Mildred Bailey, “The Rocking Chair Lady”, only recorded 'that' song 4 times at studio sessions (1932, 1937, 1941, 1943) there are, by my count, 9 versions of it by her on LP/CD - if you include radio broadcasts and concert performances.

> I read where her brother was one of the Rhythm Boys that sang with Paul
> Whiteman and one article........hinted that she was possibly instrumental in Bing Crosby
> performing with the orchestra as well.

It was the other way round.
Bing introduced Mildred to Whiteman at a party and she immediately became a member of the Whiteman aggregation (1929 to 1933). The first female big band singer.
Her brother, Al Rinker, was a pianist and a member of the Paul Whiteman Rhythm Boys along with Crosby and Harry Barris.
[Marek, where did your trombone claim come from?]
Harry, you may have missed it but earlier this year DJML lurker, Michael Steinman, published an interesting piece about Mildred Bailey on his fine Jazz Lives site.
   http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/mildred-bailey-by-julia-keefe/
Very kind regards,
Bill.
Sydney, Australia.