[Dixielandjazz] Mildred Bailey (was Some Birthdays July 29)

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 04:00:35 PDT 2010

Bill:

I thought I might have had the Bailey/Crosby/Whiteman introductions
confused, which of course is why I hinted that I might be subject to
correction from down under.

So, you obviously have answered the call to duty.

Also, thank you for the reminder that the Rhythm Boys were Rinker, Barris &
Crosby.  I'm forever confusing them with Tinker, Evers & Chance, the
double-play combination that were an integral part of the World Series
winning Chicago Cubs in 1907-08 (the last times the Cubs managed to take the
series)..........Oh, that's baseball, an American sport.

It is said that they were most likely the inspiration for O'Brien, Ryan &
Goldberg , played by Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra & Jules Munshin in 1949's
"Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

I am on MIchael Steinman's mailing list and receive his "Jazz Lives" almost
daily.  The fact that I had not read his article on Mildred Bailey will give
you an idea as to how far behind I am on everything (except my eating)

Mattafact, as a result of Mr. Calder's refreshing dissertation on the role
of Italians in jazz, I've worked up an appetite for some pasta with sauce
and mushrooms.  I know, just because you're not counting the calories,
doesn't mean they're not there.

Tides,
Harry, Hot and Humid in Houston (a little different twist on the 4H Club)

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)