[Dixielandjazz] Last Tune of the Night - Encore. & Music Teachers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 20:49:28 PDT 2010

Many is the time we've used a lilting "Show Me The Way To Go Home" as
an encore. Gets the audience singing along and sends a message.

One lesson I learned early on as a wannabe jazz musician. ALWAYS leave
the audience wanting more.

Larry Swain posted about elementary school music teachers. Our 30
something female trombonist is an elementary school music teacher.
Last year she was voted one of the top 5 in the USA, by Mr. Holland's
Opus Foundation, an organization that helps music programs in schools
by donating instruments, instrument repair etc.

She teaches in New Jersey, which has a budget crisis in school funding
and was one of the few music teachers who retained her job for this
coming year.

Like Larry, I too lament the lack of music in public schools and
applaud those music teachers who find a way around the problem of lack
of funding. I also applaud the work that the Mr. Holland's Opus
Foundation does to assist music programs in the elementary schools
throughout the USA.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband