[Dixielandjazz] First tune of the set

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jul 26 11:25:19 PDT 2010

I think you are right on track with this - First song has to be more
than just a "Warm-up" (but it does function that way, especially for
brass players.) It needs to hook the audience, let them know about the
band and their skill level, and entice them to stick around and
listen, or even get up and dance!  Can't be too obscure or a "Show
Stopper" but can't boring or a drag. The band has to know it, but it
can't be just routine.

Some bands always start with the same song - a signature piece, but if
you have a "regular audience" or steady fans they will eventually
complain about hearing that same old song again...

This is really trick for "pick-up" bands - it can be really rough when
the leader chooses a first song without knowing the skills of all the
players!

After about 30 years together "And That's Jazz" rotates through a few
favorite starting songs -  Canal Street and  New Orleans Shuffle seem
to be chosen more often.

We have usually closed our performances with a medley of  "Battle Hymn
of the Republic" (slow, then swinging, then slow) and a chorus of
"Buddy Bolden."

Dave Richoux  (I don't get to make the call, but sometimes i can "wave
off" what I think is a bad choice ;-)