[Dixielandjazz] First tune of the set

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 09:32:22 PDT 2010

Being more a listener than a player, I haven't had occasion to select the
opening tune for a set at a festival or concert.  Thinking about how I would
go about it with only my experience as a listener, I offer the following thoughts---

...The opening tune is important to get audience attention and musicians comfortable.
...Tempo would be medium with slight lean to fast.
...Tune would be without arrangement complexity---easy sailing from start to finish.
...End with a rousing chorus.  (Maybe a key change too)
...Musicians should appear to be happy (hopefully they really are!)

How do those of you who actually decide first tune see it?

Ken Gates
Ventura, Calif

PS---Examples of tunes I would select (from dozens that I could think of) are--
Dreaming the Hours Away, Avalon, Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams, Roseroom,
etc, etc, etc.