[Dixielandjazz] Can you give me any hope?

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 15:02:22 PDT 2010

Long post alert:

At risk of being called "ignorant," if not "stupid," (again) I will state my
opinion and point out that music is changing everywhere - and not just "our
kind."

Everything costs more but people are not willing to pay more.  The various
political entities (here in the states) have decided they can best be
re-elected by pushing "no new taxes."  As costs go up legislatures have
responded by cutting funding to schools.  Music programs are considered a
"frill" by those who do not participate.  Elementary programs are cut early
in the game.  High school programs (which are very expensive to maintain)
aren't far behind.

As each new generation comes to maturity without exposure to music (let
alone without the opportunity to develop "an appreciation for music")
support weakens still further.  Many existing music programs are hanging on
by their fingernails.

Instruments at the same time have grown more expensive.  It isn't "the
 thing" any more to get an instrument and put your child in band as it was
even in our era.  We are no longer in a time where there is a piano in every
parlor (because very few people have parlors) and past the time when
everyone had an aunt who taught piano and would give you lessons more or
less for free.

At the same time kids are bombarded with guitar every day.  They not only
hear it and see it, it looks easy.  One of our local high schools that has
difficulty fielding a 40 piece band has over 120 students in "programmed
guitar labs." (At least they are getting some music and the band director
still has a job.)

This is reflected in OKOM and everything else. I doubt that it will get
better because the number of those who have never been a band or even played
an instrument continues to grow.  About the only thing that might reverse it
is recognition of  the lack of aesthetic development and understanding to
such an extent that the general populace saws "Put arts back in the schools
and we WILL pay for it.

What are the odds of that do you think?