[Dixielandjazz] Can You Give Me Any Hope?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 25 07:23:43 PDT 2010

> Bob Brodsky <rfoxbro at aol.com> wrote
>
> Dear Sports Fans:
>
> On my query about whether OKOM will die out after  the next 10-15
> years go by, I am afraid that I have to report negatively - at least
> in the USA. One or two suggested that we could attract 'youngsters'
> by catering to their dancing propensities. But no one gave me any
> real news about 'young' trad bands. 37 younsters were reported at
> the Mammoth Jazz Camp,- a hopeful sign?
>
> However, the news from the UK and Ausrtalia was much more
> interesting. There- they apparently do have young trad bands that
> are popular and thriving.
> I suspect that they were late comers in hot jazz appreciation and
> thus are a generation or two behind us.
>
> I'd again like to hear from any of you in the US who can give hope.

Dear Bob & Listmates.

There are all sorts of signs of hope out the for the future of OKOM in
addition to that which we bands playing for kids at swing dances
(there are lots of us) exhibit.

There have also been several posts over the years about young bands,
like Loose Marbles (who, I believe,  appeared at the Sacramento
Jubilee this year).
And Cangelosi Cards, Primate Fiasco, Baby Soda plus some other young
bands that are working around the USA.

There is also a very optimistic viewpoint about the Future of OKOM as
the lead article in the July Issue of "The American Rag". By cornetist
Ed Polcer  who at 70 plus, in addition to his own gigs, is busking
around New York City with OKOM musicians 50 years his junior. Fans of
Ed's may remember that he has performed at several Carnegie Halls
concerts, Grace Kelly's wedding to Prince Ranier in Monaco, with Benny
Goodman, The World's Greatest Jazz Band, for 5 US Presidents, at a
command performance in 2001 for the King of Thailand, at the official
opening of the Louis Armstrong House Museum in NYC, etc., etc., etc.

In short, Ed is a working OKOM musician who walks the walk.

The gist of Ed's several page article in the American Rag is this quote:

"Jazz is not in trouble. Stop the hand wringing already. What's in
trouble is THE WAY IT IS PRESENTED - either in concert form or in a
restaurant where the audience is seated, passively eating a high
caloric meal or drinking themselves into a false state of euphoria.
Jazz was never meant to be chamber music to be enjoyed
passively. . . . . . I'm busking in parks with a cadre of musicians in
their 20s and 30s where folks of all ages lose their inhibitions and
dance to our music. Plus there are dozens of clubs and bars in all
five boroughs of this great city where jazz is presented every night
and is being discovered, enjoyed and re-invented by the under 35s
audience. So forget about sitting around in discussion groups. Get out
there and enjoy the party."

Those words ring true for me and my band here in the Philadelphia USA
area. We play over 100 gigs a year for the under 35 audience, to rave
reviews.  Yet we are an "old" band consisting of an 80 year old
bassist, three guys over 70, one guy over 50, and a 32 year old female
trombonist.

Given the current age bias in the workplace, there is no place left in
the USA that we oldsters could work, except in music.  And there is no
better audience than the under 35s. <grin>

Perhaps those worried about the future of jazz are also too passive?
Don't get around much anymore? My advice, go out to the places where
the under 35s
hang. Hear Ed Polcer / Barbone Street / Baby Soda / Cangelosi Cards /
Loose Marbles / Primate Fiasco and the other bands. Hear the young
bands and/or hear the old guys who play for the under 35s. Support
live jazz.

And by all means, subscribe to The American Rag. Home page at: