[Dixielandjazz] The Red Garter

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Sat Jul 24 10:21:16 PDT 2010

Dear Listmates,

I just found a postcard that my parents sent me back in 1971 from the
Red Garter in San Francisco. The back of the card states:
----
The Red Garter, unique beer palace-night club deluxe. Continuous
entertainment is provided by "THE STRUGGLERS," the Barbary Coast Banjo
Band, and 'Arty 'Iggins Piccadilly h'All Stars, in the roaring style of
the good old days.

The RED GARTER, 670 Broadway, San Francisco, New York, New Orleans,
Philadelphia, Detroit

-----
The photo on the front appears to be the banjo band because there are
three banjoists in the front line and a sousaphone, trumpet or cornet
(it's hard to see) and trombone in the back like, all wearing white
pants and shirts and red and white striped vests. There is a young lady
in a blue dress with a red and white striped band on the sleeve playing
piano.

Sound familiar to anyone out there? Were any of you in that band
perhaps?

BTW - the crowd in the photo looks very drunk and happy.

Cheers,
Beth
St. Louis, MO