[Dixielandjazz] Imprtant book, jazz from 1923 to 1939.

Glen Page gpage at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 23 14:22:30 PDT 2010

Hello,

The book that I will tell a little about will be of interest to members with
a love for the earlier days of the music. "Travelling Blues" focuses on the
career of one of my very favorite tpt.players and certainly my top blues
accompaniment musician..TOMMY LADNIER.Even though I have not completed
reading the book yet, nor have finished listening to the 191 tune recordings
that are available in MP3 form I would like to draw this valuable work to
the attention of serious minded lovers of the music of the period. The book
is a limited edition with a printing of 500 copies and I suspect that it
will sell out.

The first few chapters give a review of Louisiana colonization and
contemporary socialization issues, the history of the Ladnier family and
their surroundings,and Tommy's early musical life.This introduction to the
meat of the book which details his musical career and analyses his
performance in each of the numbers shown in the discography is fascinating
in itself.When we get into his musical accomplishments there are many facets
exposed that may not be perceived simply by cranking the handle of the old
Victrola.

I will not attempt to give a formal review of the book, after all I am only
half way through it. I am hoping to alert potentially interested readers
before the book is no longer available. The music on the MP3 disc is of
excellent quality for the most part and many unissued takes are included
which are reviewed in detail in the chronological chapters.I have been
listening to Ladnier's playing, especially in accompanying blues singers for
many years and the sound quality here surpasses much of what I have
elsewhere in my collection.

A visit to the web site of the co-authors at www.jazzedit.org will enable
you to see excerpts from the book as well as ordering information.
Unfortunately the print size on the site is reduced which makes it more
difficult to read than is the case for the book itself which is printed on
top quality stock. You will note that this is not an inexpensive item, book
and disc cost me 76 Euros but they will remain an indispensible addition to
my library.

I hope that this stimulates the interest of at least readers. I have no
connection with the publishers and authors, just trying to spread the good
word.

Cheers,

Glen.