[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Parker & Roots jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 12:54:04 PDT 2010

When I was a young clarinet wannabe, Omer Simeon introduced me to
Charlie Parker, outside Jimmy Ryan's on 52nd Street. Simeon insisted I
hear Parker's next set. (He was playing across the street) He asked
Bird to play his composition Ko Ko for me. Telling me it was based on
Cherokee Chord Changes.

So I went in to listen. What did I hear? On his first solo chorus,
Bird quoted the first two bars of the Picou solo in High Society.
Later I listened to a lot of Bird live and on records and realized
that he quoted those Picou bars fairly often in various tunes. Perhaps
as a way of paying homage to a past great?

Simeon and Bird taught me a good lesson about "hearing" jazz, Bird, it
turned out, wasn't so very far out. He was, IMO, a blues player who
just heard the music a little differently from moldy figs like me.
Luckily, I started "hearing" music and realizing that there is a
connecting thread to all of it. And I broadened my appreciation to
many styles, jazz and classical.

Later on Bird was quoted in a Down Beat Interview as saying  "I like
Dixieland, but can't play it because I just hear music a little
differently, that's all" But he listened to all kinds of music
including Country & Western and he found things to like about each
genre.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband