[Dixielandjazz] Phoebe Snow song

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 17 16:34:48 PDT 2010

Harry Callaghan wrote [in part]:
> Have any of y'all ever heard the song that Phoebe Snow wrote and recorded
> with Dave Grusin about a guy who shined shoes outside Yankee Stadium for
> years?.
> I have the name of it written down somewhere but it doesn't come to mind
> right now.

Dear Harry,
Do you mean “Somewhere Between Old and New York”?
Here 'tis on YouTube.
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfd6tN3Dwjs
Wow, just the mention of this performance could get you thrown off the DJML.
Or, at least, a week in the naughty boy corner.
As with all these girlie singers, I was unable to understand a word she is singing.
A quick search for the lyrics didn't turn up anything.
Maybe, just as well.
Kind regards,
Mouldy Bill.
*>)