[Dixielandjazz] Tom Lehrer

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Jul 17 13:52:12 PDT 2010

Yes, indeed.  Ringwald Rated R was a 33 1/3 and it got a fair bit of
airplay on my KCRW show way back when.  I hope McNally was able to get
off with the trad library when KCRW pretty much abandoned all but World
Music.

When I was at KCRW, Bob Claster, producer of Funny Stuff, did a phone
interview with Tom Lehrer.  I was even more of a fan after the interview
than before.  My favorite quote was in response to the question why he
never went back on stage after his short musical career (Tom is a career
math professor).  He replied : "I loved high school, but don't ever want
to do it again."

Hey, what kind of a camper are you?  Camper?  Tent?  I know some that
call Motel 6 camping.

All the best, Gary

On 16/07/2010 21:35, Robert Ringwald wrote:
> Sorry I haven't been around lately.  Was camping for 5-days.  Came home and was ill.  Even missed 3-gigs which for me, has never happened before...  Feeling better now.
>
> I recorded two of Tom Lehrer's songs on my Ringwald Rated R album, see:
>
> www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm
>
> The recording is on CD but came out in the 80s on LP.  I sent a copy to Tom who was then teaching at Santa Cruz State College in CA.  I got a letter back simply asking, "Do I get royalties for this?"
>

> --Bob Ringwald
> www.ringwald.com
> Fulton Street Jazz Band
> 916/806-9551