[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Only remotely OKOM: OTR.

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 13:53:04 PDT 2010

I'll probably get in trouble again, but what the hell.

Yes, (I have the same record) it is clearly announced as a drama, any number
of times.

The panic happened because no one had ever done that kind of "this is really
happening" drama on radio before, with or without the announcements.  People
were used to hearing events or shows or music. Remember, nightly news didn't
start until CBS began broadcasting from England (with Edward R. Morrow and
Eric Severide (on piano?)(jazz content!).  A "realistic drama" was accepted
as real even with cut ins.

Listen to the broadcast of the burning of the Hindenburg which was (A) an
actual live broadcast and (B) only 5 or 6 months earlier and see how close
they are in sound.  Also remember that these are much earlier times.  KDKA
came on air as the first station in 1920 or so and radio didn't get big
until the early 30's.  Just a few years earlier than this gig.

Mart

Martin D. McKay (Designated Listener) (Radio too!)