[Dixielandjazz] New Thread: Best Jazz Solos

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:10:15 PDT 2010

If I were to name all my favorites, I would bore you all to tears (more than
I'm sure I usually do)

However, with the other ongoing thread regarding drums, I was about to
comment that, while people will go back and forth till the cows come home as
to who was the greater drummer, Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa., I believe one
that was too often overlooked.was Louis Bellson.

I have a recording of "Skin Deep" from the "HI-Fi Ellington Uptown" LP where
I would put up Louis' drum solo against anything I've ever heard of the
other two.

I would imagine it to be even far more impressive when digitally remastered
onto a CD which no doubt it has been.

While just about everyone is familiar with Krupa's drum solo on "Sing, Sing,
Sing" (the 1938 Carnegie Hall version), Jimmy Vincent, who played with Louis
Prima's orchestra and recorded the original 2 years earlier, was no slouch
either.

I said I'd keep it short, so I will

Tides
HC

--
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that now and then he can have a good
opinion

            - Finley Peter Dunne (1867-1936)