[Dixielandjazz] New Thread: Best Jazz Solos

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 11:46:14 PDT 2010

To all:

I'd like to start a new thread.  Below, I've listed my initial picks, in no particular order, as the greatest solos or jazz performances on record.  Since my background is reeds, my list is topheavy with sax/clarinet selections.  For this, I apologize.

Louis Armstrong - West End Blues

Artie Shaw- Stardust-The band with strings performance

Coleman Hawkins- Body and Soul -1939 Version

Irving Fazola- My Inspiration

Bunny Berigan-Marie- w/ the Tommy Dorsey Band

Benny Goodman-Avalon w/Hampton

Charlie Parker- Koko 1945

Artie Shaw-Don't Take Your Love from Me 1954

Earl Bostic- Body and Soul

Tony Parente- Maple Leaf Rag

Buddy DeFranco-Now's the Time

John Coltrane- Giant Steps